The population of Carpatho-Rus' continued to keep their Orthodox faith and ethnicity after the entry of these lands into the structure of the Catholic Polish and Hungarian Kingdoms. The struggle to keep the Orthodox faith continued even after the acceptance of the Union with Rome. Attempts to return to Orthodoxy were severely slashed by the authorities. This was demonstrated by the Austro-Hungarian authorities in the instigation of the First (1904) and Second (1913-1914) Marmarosh-Sighet Trails. The Moldavian Principality gave great help in the preservation of the Orthodox Faith in Carpatho-Rus'. Moldavian hospodars and boyars supported the Orthodox churches financially and the Metropolitan of Sochava and All-Moldavia appointed Orthodox hierarchs. In the beginning the Moldavian Orthodox Church was under the Galician Metropolia. Peter Moghila, Pamba Berynda and others, who originated from Moldavia, played a major role in the preservation of Orthodoxy in South-West Rus'. In 1812 the territory between the Pruth and Dniester Rivers, a part of the Moldavian Principality which was under Ottoman control, entered into the structure of Russia. The territory received the name Bessarabia. In 1813 the Diocese of Kishinev was formed. Its head was Metropolitan Gabriel Banulesco-Bodoni, who played a major role in its creation and formation.
|Состояние||Опубликовано - 1 янв 2013|
Предметные области Scopus